Empowering PM Abiy Ahmed of Ethiopia does not align with the national or international interests of China on many grounds. First, it makes no sense to make economic ties and deal with a government that allowed the deliberate destruction of Chinese investment in Tigray. Second, Tigray has been a friendly state with a track record of enhancing the relationship between China and Ethiopia/Africa.
I plea with the Government of the People’s Republic of China to:
- stop the sale of armaments to the government of Ethiopia,
- stop interfering in the global efforts to sanction the government of Ethiopia,
- press the government of Ethiopia to accept a negotiated cease-fire that includes withdrawal of the Amhara and Eritrean forces from Tigray,
- press the government of Ethiopia to remove the siege which is blocking the people from receiving basic necessities and humanitarian aid,
- press for the deployment of international monitors and independent investigators into allegations into war crimes and crimes against humanity that are widely believed to amount to Genocide,
- press for a national dialogue that includes all opposition groups in the country.
- never use any veto power to stop United Nations Security Council actions to stop Tigray Genocide!
Thank you for your kind attention and consideration.