Contrary to the founding principles of the UNSC, the world is witnessing genocide in the making in Tigray. We think that the Kosovo model for intervention in the Tigray crisis could end the unfolding genocide quickly and effectively. It is to be noted that, on June 9, 1999, after 11 weeks of aerial bombing by NATO, dictator Slobodan Milosevic was forced to capitulate and end his ethnic-cleansing campaign in Kosovo. If the situation in Kosovo, which was minuscule by many standards compared to that of the current crisis in Tigray, required the US led NATO military intervention, certainly the lives of the people of Tigray can only be spared by similar intervention adopted by the UNSC resolution. The belligerent governments in Eritrea and Ethiopia have defied adherence to the international community’s repeated calls. Nothing will stop them other than the UNSC’s unequivocal action.We Ethiopians are, therefore, urging the UN Secretary- General, António Guterres and the all UN Security Council member countries to pass an urgent resolution and take every measure at their disposal to save the lives of millions of people whose lives are at risk of imminent danger of genocide by enforcing:
1. The immediate and unconditional withdrawal of the Eritrean Army from Tigray
2. Giving unfettered access to humanitarian organizations to save lives
3. The immediate cessation of hostilities and finding political solutions
4. The lifting of all economic and media blockade imposed on Tigray
5. The opening of Tigray to national and international media
To this effect, on behalf of the people of Tigray, SJTE is urging all Ethiopians to demand the withdrawal of Eritrean forces from Tigray, Ethiopia by signing and sharing this petition.